The purpose of this charter
This charter is for you, our supporters. It outlines:
- our commitment and promises to you
- how we deal with your feedback, donations and personal information and complaints.
We value all the contributions you make towards our work. We're grateful for your donations, actions and prayers, and that you've chosen to support us.
Our goal is to make this evident in every contact we have with you.
Our promises to you
- will thank you for your donations (unless you've asked us not to do so)
- are keen to hear from you - your feedback encourages us, and helps us improve what we do
- will always answer your questions, or let you know why we can't
- might not always be able to do what you ask; if that’s the case, we’ll explain why
- will treat the information you share with us as you wish us to, and contact you in the ways that you prefer
- will provide simple ways for you to let us know if your preferences change
- won't sell your details on to other organisations
- are committed to treating all complaints and serious concerns rigorously, sensitively, and with discretion and understanding.
How we will fulfil these promises to you is explained below.
How long does it take to get a reply after you've donated?
Because we're grateful for all the donations you send us, we like to acknowledge them (but we won't do this if you ask us not to).
We aim to do respond to donations within seven working days of receiving them, but this can take a longer during peak periods.
How to share your feedback with us
Your feedback encourages us, helps us improve our work when we review past activities and plan for the future. And it doesn't just disappear into the ether, our leadership team regularly reviews what you have to say.
If you wish to contact us to make a complaint, please refer to our Complaints Policy.
How to contact our London-based Supporter Care team
Our London office is staffed 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays).
- Phone: 020 7523 2493
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write to: The Supporter Care Team, Christian Aid, PO Box 100, London, SE1 7RT
How to contact our national offices
Our national offices are open at varying times, and some may have smaller teams - this can affect how quickly you get a reply to your questions, suggestions or complaints.
How long does it take to get a reply from us?
Anytime you contact us, we aim to acknowledge:
- emails within three working days
- posted letters within five working days
If we can't respond fully, we'll let you know when to expect a full response.
Please note: We reserve the right to not respond to communication that risks the security of our staff, partners or the integrity of the organisation.
We don't respond to your feedback if...
- You send us feedback anonymously (We'll still listen and take note of your views, but we won't be able to answer or acknowledge you).
- You specifically ask us not to do so
Taking control of your data
If you'd like to stop receiving communications from us or would like to change how you hear from us, please talk to our Supporter Care team.
We promise never to share your details with any other organisation for marketing purposes.
Need to change your contact details?
It's important that we keep our records accurate and up to date because this enables us to claim Gift Aid on donations, where appropriate.
Update your contact details on the 'Contact us' form, selecting 'Update details' as the subject.
We'll let you know when the changes have been made (usually within five working days).
We work hard to offer high standards of service at all times, but occasionally, we may not get it right. If you are unhappy with the service we have provided, we would like to hear from you so that we can improve and try to make sure your experience is not repeated.
You can complain in the following ways:
- complete our online form.
- phone between 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays).
If you are an individual supporter:
Supporter Care team: 020 7523 2493
If you represent your Church or Christian Aid Group, call our Central Supporter Engagement team: 01925 573 769
Scotland: 0131 220 1254
Wales: 029 2084 4646
Not happy with our response?
To escalate an issue, please contact our Supporter Care Manager, Michael Griffiths:
- email: email@example.com (with 'FAO Michael Griffiths' in the subject line)
- write to: Christian Aid, PO Box 100, London SE1 7RT (write 'FAO Michael Griffiths' on the envelope).
Most issues can be resolved directly with us, but when it's appropriate you can take the matter up outside Christian Aid.
Need to raise a fundraising issue?
If you've already spoken to us and need to escalate a fundraising related issue further, then contact the Fundraising Regulator.
Have concerns about our charitable activity?
- If you're in England or Wales, contact the Charity Commission. This the governing body for charities in England and Wales.
- If you're in Scotland, contact the Office for Scottish Charity Regulator. This the governing body for charities in Scotland.
Have an issue relating to data and information?
The Information Commissioner’s Office enforces Data Protection and Freedom of Information legislation in the UK.
Need to report a serious concern to us?