Hold a church collection
Please call 0870 078 7788 or email email@example.com by 12 noon on the Thursday of the week you will hold the collection, to ensure the envelopes arrive in time.
Receive envelopes so your church can hold a collection the same week an emergency appeal launches.
For use in your church or individually
- Pray for Unity State, for the 100,000 people facing starvation and those watching loved ones die on a daily basis. Pray for the 1 million people who are on the brink of famine. Pray that this would not happen.
- Pray that this would be a wake-up call to those at the heart of the three years of conflict that has caused this famine. Pray they would seek peace with the tenacity that they have worked at war.
- Pray for the nearly 4.9 million people who need food and security now. Ask God’s blessing upon Christian Aid’s partners distributing food, and tools, seeds and fishing gear to help people get back on their feet.
- Pray for clean water for those living in camps, and for the boreholes Christian Aid has repaired to supply water.
- Pray for health and hygiene – for toilet facilities provided by Christian Aid, and our work to make sure people have soap and mosquito nets. Pray for medical facilities in need of drugs and medical supplies.
- Pray for traumatised children whose education has been disrupted. Ask God to bless Christian Aid’s work to provide space for children to play, listen to stories, draw, dance and sing. Thank God for the measures in place to keep children safe, including a child abuse hotline in Juba. Ask for God’s protection upon children in camps.
- Pray for the church in South Sudan, that she will be empowered to broker peace and bring reconciliation.
A prayer of intercession for South Sudan
Lord of life,
thank you that word has got to us,
loud and clear
and so in turn we raise our voices
loud and clear
in lament and intercession to you.
When word of famine has reached us in the past
we have appealed for rains to come
for droughts to be disrupted
for climate catastrophe to be averted
but this time
we appeal to you
for conflict to cease
for guns to be silenced
for killings to end
for human rights abuses to be stopped
for the economy to be resuscitated
for those who assume leadership
to take more concrete steps
to seek peace and to serve
the people they lead
Lord in your abundant mercy
and in your gracious generosity
may our offering make a difference
to lives of the millions in South Sudan
facing the threat of famine
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.
We pray for the many casualties of war in South Sudan,
for those bereaved or injured by conflict,
for those bereft of their homes and livelihoods,
for those in need of medical treatment.
We pray for the work of Christian Aid and its partners,
for the distribution of food, fishing gear and seeds,
for soap, mosquito nets and water,
for a safe space for children.
We pray for the work of your church in bringing peace,
for a listening ear and understanding heart,
for productive negotiations and lasting peace,
for strength to walk the long road of rebuilding and reconciliation.
The joy of our hearts has ceased;
our dancing has been turned to mourning.
– Lamentations 5:15
The fields are empty – the sowers have fled,
the schools are empty – the children are taken,
the clinics are empty – there is no medicine.
The camps are full;
full of the homeless, the hungry, the desperate,
full of the heart-sore, the violated, the traumatised.
drive fear and despair from the full places,
fill the empty places with hope for the future.