Our mission is to ensure that public resources support inclusive development, which benefits all the citizens of Sierra Leone. We are focussing on improving public financial management, revenue generation and anti-corruption efforts.
Running from June 2019 to March 2020, this project is funded by UK aid and implemented by a consortium of civil society organisations, headed by Christian Aid. Other consortium members include: Centre for Accountability and Rule of Law, Budget Advocacy Network and Restless Development.
June 2019-March 2020 (with potential second phase)
Ministries Department and Agencies of Government, civil society, media
Christian Aid, Centre for Accountability and Rule of Law, Budget Advocacy Network, Restless Development
The programme is being delivered through effective citizen engagement, data collection and analysis, and policy advocacy engagement with key government ministries/agencies and local authorities.
Three key outputs:
- Improved public revenue generation.
- Strengthened public expenditure management systems.
- Oversight and anti-corruption institutions are strengthened in their ability to deliver.
Aiming to support:
- increased revenue mobilisation;
- enhanced systems strengthening to promote prudent public spending and transparency;
- improved citizens' awareness and engagement in anti-corruption efforts;
- and facilitating activities to strengthen anti-corruption institutions for the enhancement of quality service delivery.
After six months the consortium is on the verge of delivering key national products such as:
- a tax perception survey;
- National Score card on government audit follow up;
- a technical report on budget credibility;
- and the first ever cost of corruption report for Sierra Leone.
We have also:
- supported a more inclusive process for the 2020 budget, by promoting the participation of vulnerable groups,
- provided technical support to the development of the national tax waver policy, which could lead to vast increases in revenue generation and improvements to the business environment,
- recruited and trained a group of youth accountability volunteers to support engagements, especially at community and district levels, to promote the involvement of young people.
2019 Tax Perception Survey Report
Read our 2019 Tax Perception Survey Report