As a Christian organisation, we believe every one of us is created in the image of God and deserves respect and care, and the opportunity to live a life of peace, dignity and worth.
In a world with such wealth as ours, no one should go without food, shelter, security or any of the other basics we all need.
We work for and with people of all faiths and none, as well as with churches and other organisations, to promote sustainable development, strive for social justice and pursue our vision of a world without poverty.
In 37 countries, we support poor and marginalised people, whatever their beliefs, sexuality, gender and ethnicity, to lift themselves out of poverty.
We do this by tackling both the causes and the symptoms of poverty so that everyone can achieve equality, dignity and freedom.
Together with our supporters and partners, we aim:
- to expose poverty throughout the world
- to help in practical ways to end it
- to highlight, challenge and change the structures and systems that favour the rich and powerful over the poor and marginalised.
We believe in life before death
- We seek to follow the teaching of Jesus Christ, who commanded his followers to love their neighbour and work for a better world.
- We stand with the most vulnerable and excluded people of the world – both in times of crisis and for the longer term. We give people survival essentials when they are without shelter or refuge, and help them find the strength and resources they need to flourish and protect themselves from shocks and disasters.
- We support people to stand up for their rights and to build stable, secure lives they can enjoy living.
We’re part of a global movement for change
- Together, we have great influence and impact. We want people to pray with us, to act, to give and to get involved with us in a variety of ways.
- We work to educate and mobilise people from all kinds of backgrounds to build a movement that can change the course of history and bring social justice to all.
- We campaign to ensure a more equal division of power in the world, promoting the rights and voices of women and girls – and anyone discriminated against because of who they are.
- We push our political leaders to tackle climate change and tax dodging – which hit the poorest the hardest – and for our society to welcome those who have been forced to flee their homes overseas.