Host a Big Brekkie this year
Whether you have it at home, or in your office, school or church, by hosting a Big Brekkie, you'll be raising vital funds to help poor communities worldwide.
Some of the things included in your free pack:
Sign up now
Recipes and tips
Full English Breakfast
2 tomatoes, halved
300g mini Portobello mushrooms
3 tbsp vegetable oil
8 rashers smoked back bacon
3 slices white bread, cut into triangles
4 slices black pudding
400g baked beans
4 medium free-range eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 120°C, fan 100°C, gas ½.
2. Heat a grill to medium-high heat and grill the sausages for 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the tomatoes, cut-side up, and the mushrooms. Once cooked, place in the oven to keep warm while you prepare the other items.
3. In a large frying pan, add 1 tbsp oil on medium high heat and fry the bacon until crisp and golden on both sides. Remove from the pan and keep warm in the oven.
4. In the same pan, fry the bread in the pan for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden.
5. Then add 1 tbsp oil to the pan and fry the black pudding for 2-3 minutes, until crisp on both sides then place in oven to keep warm.
6. In a small saucepan, add the baked beans and simmer for 5 minutes or until warmed through.
7. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in a clean, large frying pan, then crack in the eggs and fry until the white has just set and the yolks are still slightly runny.
8. Divide into 4 servings.
Mexican beans & avocado on toast
2 x 400g cans black beans, washed and drained
1 avocado, finely sliced
4 slices bread
1 tomato, chopped
1 brown onion, finely chopped
½ lime, juiced
4 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 small bunch coriander, chopped
1. In a bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, ¼ onion, lime juice and 1 tbsp olive oil, a pinch of salt and set aside.
2. Add 2 tbsp olive oil to a non-stick pan on medium heat, and fry the remaining onion until it starts to soften. Add the garlic and fry for 1 min, then add the cumin and chilli flakes and stir until fragrant.
3. Add in the black beans with a splash of water and gently cook until heated through. Add in ¾ of the tomato mixture and combine well with the beans, cook for 1 min, then add the chopped coriander. Season well with salt and pepper.
4. Toast the bread and drizzle the remaining 1 tbsp oil on each slice. Put each slice of toast on a separate plate and pile the beans evenly on top. Add a few slices of avocado and sprinkle the remaining tomato mixture and coriander leaves to serve.
Fluffy Ricotta Pancakes
1 cup full fat ricotta cheese
2 large eggs, separated into yolks and whites
¾ cup milk
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp caster sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil (for frying)
Fruit of your choice for toppings
1. In a bowl, combine the ricotta, yolks, milk and vanilla until there are no large lumps of ricotta left in the mixture
2. Add the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt, and mix until just combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites by hand for 30 seconds until they are foamy, they don’t need to be stiff. Add the foamy egg whites to the batter and fold in until just combined, the batter should be quite thick.
4. Brush vegetable oil evenly on a non-stick skillet over medium heat and pour 1/3 cup of batter into the pan and cook for 45 seconds, or until bubbles appear on the edges and golden underneath. Then flip and cook for a further 40 seconds and set aside on a plate. Repeat until the mixture has finished.
5. Serve with fresh fruit or your favourite choice of toppings.
Big Brekkie fundraising ideas
Whether it's in your home, office or church, host a Big Brekkie this year and help raise vital funds for people around the world. Last year more than 2,500 people signed up for a Big Brekkie pack. By making toast in Towcester and porridge in Perth, our supporters helped deliver life-changing support.
So why not bring friends and family together, break bread and share the most important meal of the year? Here are a few fundraising ideas to get you started:
- To keep your brekkie relaxed, chop fruit or veg ahead of time and whisk up pancake mix the night before.
- Decorate your venue with bunting and balloons, and lay out the Daily Bread newspaper (included in your free pack) to get guests talking about how their donations will help.
- Let guests, volunteers and other helpers know how much you raised, and they’ll probably want to be involved next time too.
For more fundraising ideas, sign up to receive your free fundraising pack!