Tens of thousands of Egyptians in the region of El Minya labour in stone quarries, where work is hazardous and badly paid. Workers' rights are routinely abused.
Christian Aid is supporting local Egyptian organisation Wadi el Nil to help quarry workers claim their rights and protect their incomes.
It also gets child workers out of the quarries and back into school.
Watch the slideshow to see the moon-like landscapes of the quarries, and hear about a recent major success for the quarry workers.
• A Better Life on the Nile - An audio slidehow about how a Christian Aid partner is helping communities learn more about their rights.
• Christian Aid in Egypt - Find out more about our work in the country.
• Cooperatives transform communities – this photo gallery for the UN day of cooperatives showcases the work of COC BLESS among other partners around the world.
What you can do
• Help us continue our support of partners in Egypt by donating.
• Take action to help eradicate poverty and injustice across the world.