Overfishing and pollution have devastated Nile fish stocks in the region of El Minya, Egypt, leaving fishermen struggling to make a living. Nor are the Nile fishing communities often a priority of the government.
Local Egyptian organisation Better Life trains and empowers the fishers in how to claim their rights from the local government – such as education and healthcare.
Watch this audio slideshow to get a glimpse of this changing lifestyle, and see the work Christian Aid is supporting for a Better Life in Egypt.
• The grind - otherworldly images of Egypt’s limestone quarries show the back-breaking work, and how our partner Wadi el Nil is helping workers claim their rights.
• Christian Aid in Egypt - Find out more about our work in the country.
• Cooperatives transform communities – this photo gallery for the UN day of cooperatives showcases the work of COC BLESS among other partners around the world.
What you can do
• Help us continue our support of partners in Egypt by donating.
• Take action to help eradicate poverty and injustice across the world.