Christian Aid in the Philippines supports communities to play a more active role in the growing economy and get their fair shares from it, sustainably manage their resources and the risks of natural disasters, and have a say in the decisions that shape their lives.
We advocate for real changes in policies and practice that favour the poor and marginalised. This includes:
• disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation policies that address risks and enable communities to adapt to and cope with the impact of climate change.
• fiscal policies – particularly a progressive national tax regime and budget policies that bring social spending for the poor.
• industrial policies that rationalise fiscal incentives, create quality jobs and make development inclusive.
• mining policies that protect and sustain the livelihoods of the poor, reduce the risks of mining disasters and ensure a fair share for the state from mining operations.
• strategic direction policies such as the Sustainable Development Goals and Sendai Framework on Disaster Risk Reduction campaign.
• safe, secure and acceptable settlements for the urban poor and the disaster-affected.
Disaster risk reduction and climate change
Our strong disaster risk reduction (DRR) and climate change adaptation (CCA) work saw us play an important role in the passing of the national Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Act of 2010.
We also worked on the Climate Change Act of 2009, developing the small islands DRR model and the Climate Smart Disaster Risk Management model, ensuring the links between national level policy and local realities.
Promoting urban resilience, we work with the strongest partners to advocate beyond shelter, land tenure and other physical assets and include resilient livelihoods and climate smart DRR.
Being at the forefront of resilience programming and macro policy, tax and economic justice advocacy, while continuing to be a reflective and learning programme, Christian Aid in the Philippines is eager to lead, support, share and learn with others beyond its borders.
Tax justice and mining
We are among the very few organisations in the Philippines supporting fiscal policy reform, especially on tax justice and pro-poor and participatory budgeting, and the reform of the highly destructive mining policy.
Our policy and advocacy work on tax justice, climate change, the extractive industries and the post-2015 Millennium Development Goals is linked with initiatives at regional level.
The ability to connect across local, national and international issues makes Christian Aid an effective broker between the government, the scientific community, economic and policy think tanks, advocacy groups and grassroots organisations in the Philippines.