Present Aid www.presentaid.org, the virtual gift scheme from Christian Aid, is launching four new exciting group gifts for Christmas in its Autumn Winter 2010 catalogue, including a sturdy bamboo shelter for a Burmese refugee family living on the Thai/Burmese border (£230) and an adult literacy centre in Sierra Leone (£543).
Group gifts start at £100. Other new group gifts include enabling a child in Haiti to return to school, covering their first 4 months of school fees and providing a uniform and school stationary (£100), and emergency water and sanitation training for four days in the Democratic Republic of Congo for 188 displaced people (£1,718).
The group gifts are aimed at people who want to club together to make a difference to communities around the world. Present Aid offers six group gifts in total. It is a great way to get involved in fundraising and encourage others to understand issues people face in developing countries concerning access to education, shelter and clean water. All group gifts purchased will receive a special certificate of thanks.
Other group gifts include £495 for the construction of a 100-ft well in a rural Kenyan village to provide clean, fresh water and £780 to provide primary school education for 30 children for a year in Bangladesh.
Alternatively, individual gifts for friends and family are available from just £7. New individual gifts include business-skills training for three women in Mali to help them develop an income generating business (£13.50), a first aid kit for a family in Burma to treat minor injuries (£18) and an art workshop for a group of young people in Haiti to help them deal with the trauma of the recent earthquake (£69).
The printed and online catalogues are available and E-card gifts can be purchased right up to Christmas day and beyond. The deadline for purchases from the printed catalogue is 17 December 2010. Call the 24-hour phone line 0845 3300 500 to order a catalogue or go online at www.presentaid.org.
- Ends -
Please find photos attached: Photo 1 - Haiti: Send a child to school, Credit: Christian Aid / M Gonzales-Noda and Photo 2 - Bangladesh: Educate thirty children, Credit: Christian Aid / Mohammadur Rahman.
If you would like further information please contact Melanie Marks on 020 7523 2421 or email@example.com. 24 hour press duty phone – 07850 242950
Notes to Editors:
1. Money raised by the gifts in the Present Aid catalogue is distributed to one of five project funds:
a. Agriculture and livestock
b. Emergency and disaster preparedness
c. Healthcare including HIV/AIDS
d. Training and education
e. Water and environment
2. Christian Aid works in some of the world's poorest communities in nearly 50 countries. We act where the need is greatest, regardless of religion, helping people build the lives they deserve.
3. Christian Aid has a vision, an end to global poverty, and we believe that vision can become a reality. Our report, Poverty Over, explains what we believe needs to be done – and can be done – to end poverty. Details at http://www.christianaid.org.uk/Images/poverty-over-report.pdf
4. Christian Aid is a member of the ACT Alliance, a global coalition of 100 churches and church-related organisations that work together inhumanitarian assistance and development. Further details at http://www.actalliance.org
5. Follow Christian Aid's newswire on Twitter: http://twitter.com/caid
6. For more information about the work of Christian Aid visit www.christianaid.org.uk