June 13 2011 - David Cameron’s steadfast defence of Britain’s continued support for developing countries is brave and extremely welcome, Christian Aid says today.
Commenting on the Prime Minister’s speech at the Global Alliance for Vaccinations and Immunisation (Gavi) conference in London today, Christian Aid Director Loretta Minghella said the Prime Minister deserved high praise for his robust stance on the moral case for aid, despite criticism even from within his own party.
‘It’s heartening to see Mr Cameron’s principled approach on aid and the promises his party has made that Britain will not balance the books on the backs of the poorest people in the world,’ she said.
‘He is absolutely right to make the moral case for spending what amounts to a small fraction of the Government’s total budget on making a massive difference to the lives of people living in extreme poverty.
‘Christian Aid also welcomes Mr Cameron’s leadership in the campaign to fund life-saving vaccinations to protect millions of children from preventable diseases which could otherwise kill them.’
- Ends -
For more information, please contact Rachel Baird on 0207 523 2446 or email@example.com
Notes to Editors:
1. Christian Aid works in some of the world's poorest communities in nearly 50 countries. We act where the need is greatest, regardless of religion, helping people build the lives they deserve.
2. Christian Aid has a vision, an end to global poverty, and we believe that vision can become a reality. Our report, Poverty Over, explains what we believe needs to be done – and can be done – to end poverty. Details at http://www.christianaid.org.uk/Images/poverty-over-report.pdf
3. Christian Aid is a member of the ACT Alliance, a global coalition of 100 churches and church-related organisations that work together inhumanitarian assistance and development. Further details at http://www.actalliance.org
4. Follow Christian Aid's newswire on Twitter: http://twitter.com/caid_newswire
5. For more information about the work of Christian Aid visit www.christianaid.org.uk