12 September 2014 - Christian Aid has today welcomed the news that a Commons bill to enshrine in law Britain’s aid spending target has progressed to the next stage of the law making process.
The International Development (Official Development Assistance Target) Bill proposed by MP Michael Moore, passed to the committee stage by a convincing 164 votes to 6.
Christian Aid’s Campaigns Manager, Al Roxburgh, welcomed the news.
He said: ‘Today’s vote in support of British aid is an important step towards enshrining this country's commitment to 0.7% into law.
‘While there are more steps before it becomes law, today’s vote shows the continued cross-party support for aid and the important role it plays in saving lives.
‘It is now vital that the Bill passes through the committee stage to ensure the Coalition’s promise to deliver this legislation isn’t broken.’
For more information contact Joe Ware on 0207 523 2418 or firstname.lastname@example.org. 24 hour press duty phone – 07850 242950.
Notes to editors:
1. Christian Aid works in some of the world's poorest communities in around 50 countries at any one time. We act where there is great need, regardless of religion, helping people to live a full life, free from poverty. We provide urgent, practical and effective assistance in tackling the root causes of poverty as well as its effects.
2. Christian Aid’s core belief is that the world can and must be changed so that poverty is ended: this is what we stand for. Everything we do is about ending poverty and injustice: swiftly, effectively, sustainably. Our strategy document Partnership for Change explains how we set about this task.
3. Christian Aid is a member of the ACT Alliance, a global coalition of more than 130 churches and church-related organisations that work together in humanitarian assistance, advocacy and development. Further details at http://actalliance.org
4. Follow Christian Aid's newswire on Twitter: http://twitter.com/caid_newswire
5. For more information about the work of Christian Aid visit http://www.christianaid.org.uk