• Loading

Puma leads the way on carbon reporting

By Laura Trevelyan | 23 May 2011

Puma Vision headquarters (photo courtesy of puma.com, source: rr-fotoreporter)I have to confess, I'm not very interested in sportswear per se, but Puma has impressed me!

No, it's not a flashy advert with sports stars strutting their stuff, it's a world-first announcement that the company will report on the environmental impact of its whole operation.

'There will be climate change, there will be a scarcity of water'
Puma CEO

Puma's report doesn't just cover the immediate environmental impact of the head office and the lights in the shops, but the entire supply chain - from the water used in production through to the crops grown for its fibres. 

For example, we learn that only 15% of its greenhouse gas emissions are from Puma's core operations; the other 85% are further down the supply chain. Some of the detail is quite amazing – they even include emissions produced by the cows used to make their leather!

On Channel 4 news, Puma CEO Jochen Zeitz, said:

'There will be climate change, there will be a scarcity of water and if we apply the true value of just those two factors we will actually be able early on to manage those risks.'

Campaign background

Christian Aid has been campaigning since 2007 for UK-listed companies to be required to report their carbon emissions, and currently the secretary of state for DEFRA, Caroline Spelman, is deciding if this will be brought in.

It really shouldn't be a hard decision. Businesses support mandatory reporting and believe it can benefit them. The world's poor, who are already suffering the effects of climate change, are crying out for action. And now, Puma has gone even further and agreed to report not just its emissions but its entire environmental impact.

Caroline Spelman has a chance to show us that the government is brave enough to live up to its promise to be the greenest ever. If Puma can step up to the plate then so can our government.

 

 

Take action!

Act now! Urge the government to live up to David Cameron's pledge to make it the 'greenest ever'.

 About the author

Laura Trevelyan

Laura Trevelyan is our climate justice campaign manager


 Browse our blog